Dawlish Against Plastic was formed in March 2018. Since then, our achievements have been:
- Dawlish Town Council agreed unanimously to support Plastic Free Coastlines (since re-named Plastic Free Communities).
- Organised monthly beach cleans in Dawlish.
- Plastic Straws removed, or pledged to be removed, from over 40 local businesses.
- Presentations to local schools and engagement with school 'eco groups'. Competition held to design a logo for Dawlish Against Plastic.
- Facebook group, Dawlishagainstplastic, established with over 340 plus members.
- Facebook Page Dawlish Against Plastic
- Instagram account Dawlish Against Plastic
- Promoting Devon Refill scheme and other ways of reducing single use plastic to local businesses.
- Receiving Community Grant funding from Teignbridge Councillors for beach cleaning equipment, publicity and alternatives to plastic for display/sale to the public.
- Participated in community events and ran fundraising events for Surfers Against Sewage.
- We produced an audio-visual presentation of our progress so far.
- Made contact with the Environment Agency’s newly formed ‘Plastics Team’ and helped organise an event to link up with other, similar, groups in Devon. Event held on 3rd Sept 2018.
- Successfully applied to Keep Britain Tidy for 50 free stainless-steel drinks bottles for display/sale on our stalls.
- Successfully applied for Plastic Free Community status for Dawlish from Surfers Against Sewage. Evidence included steps taken by local businesses to remove certain single-use plastic items from sale or use and our work in conjunction with other community groups.
Steering Group Members:
Vanessa Ryley (Chairman), Brenda Toye (Treasurer), Dave Hutton (Secretary), Martin Wrigley (Dawlish Town & Teignbridge Councillor), Lin Goodman-Bradbury (Dawlish Town Councillor), Sue Brader (Dawlish Transition), Vicky Bridle and Suzanne Jones.
Our Steering Group, March 2019, celebrating our 'Plastic Free Community' recognition from SAS . From Left to Right - Dave Hutton, Vanessa Ryley, Suzanne Jones,Liz Green, Cllr. Martin Wrigley, Teresa Golding, Vicky Bridle, Cllr. Lin Goodman-Bradbury.
Brenda Toye and Sue Brader are also members.